96 explorer engine noise

Well I really don't know where to start, or if anyone out there can really help me with my engine noise problem. I've been to three mechanics spent about 300.00 dollars and so far the noise has gotten louder. At first it was diagnosed that I needed to replace the spring tenioner...did that, still noise...then they said the alternator needed to be looked at (as thats when it makes the most noise when there is strain put on the alternator by turning the wheels or turning on the AC) not the alternator...ahh then it must be the torque convertor. Took it the the transmission guy, he says no problems there...ok take it back the mechanics and he says well lets bench test the altenator....nope seems fine there. Now the engine only makes noise if there is no strain being put on the altenator, but it quiets right up when I rev the rpms over a 1000... does any have any thoughts about what the noise might be please reply.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.ca

thanks Patrick

Reply to
Patrick

The noise may be your fan clutch or power steering pump. Hard to say when your writing down the problem. Sometimes its the belt making the noise. When the AC is on there is more strain on the belt because the AC clutch is kicking in. A grinding sound usually is a bad bearing, winding sound a pump. When was the last time the belt was changed?

Reply to
Syclonus

Can you describe the noise further?

A rhythmic chirp? A squeak? Groan, ticking, growl ? Also, can you pinpoint where it may be coming from? One trick to see if it's a squeaky serpentine belt is to dribble just a little dishwashing soap (not dishwasher liquid) onto the inside (ribbed) part of the serpentine belt and then start the engine. Serpentine belts usually don't squeak unless really under strain, but worth a try. Is the sound coming from up top, or from under the engine? Is the sound continuous, or is it cyclic with the engine RPM?

Mike

Reply to
Mike Mayer

Did you try running the truck without the belt to see if it's belt related?

Reply to
SizzleMP

Ahhhh... sanity surfaces....

Whilst the belt is off is an ideal time to check for excessive play, noise or roughness on the accessories, idlers and tensioners.

Jim Warman

If you are having a chirping noise that is coming from the serpentine belt area (particularly in colder periods), then the ball bearings in the idler pully have gone bad. Replace the idler pully ($40) and everything's fine!

Richard

Reply to
Richard Nettles