96 Explorer JBL System Replacement

Hi Folks,

I am considering replacing the stereo in my 1996 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer with a navigation unit. I have heard many stories regarding the complexity of this system and would like any input anyone has to offer before I start. It has the JBL system with subwoofer, rear seat controls, power antenna, and CD changer

I would like to install a unit that utilizes the factory amp and subwoofer if possible. If there a harness available that will allow me to plug and play into the factory system without much rewiring. I understand I will lose my rear seat controls and CD changer.

I also hear the power antenna trigger is a little different on these models, and uses a 5V trigger. Will this be a problem when keeping this antenna and installing an aftermarket radio?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Reply to
Jeff

If you're thinking about doing this just to add navigation, I would look at other options such as the Garmin Streetpilot and Magellan Roadmate. They are removable so there is no need to worry about them being stolen. You can use them in more then one car which makes them great if you ever go on a fly then rent a car vacation. If you own a boat or a bike you can use them there also. They also support worldwide mapping along with marine maps ( I know the Garmin supports marine and aviation maps). Garmin and Magellan maps are a lot cheaper and far more often updated vs maps for in car units such as Alpine or Pioneer.

Reply to
Captain_Howdy

Goto the Crutchfield Web site and use the pop-up menus to choose the car year, make and model, and get a list of equipment that's designed to fit it. You can also call them up and talk to pretty knowledgeable people. They are by far the best place to go for advice and support:

Al Williams