96 explorer transmission

Just bought a 96 explorer 4.0 ohv, 4 wheel drive. Have been reading a lot about how weak the transmissions are. Jim what would you recommend to extend the life of the trans? Seems to be in good shape so far, a little slow shifting into drive from reverse when weather is very cold. Was thinking fluid change to synthetic, filter change, maybe additional cooler and external filter too. I don't hot rod or tow a trailer.

Reply to
jrchilds

A fluid exchange to synthetic probably couldn't hurt.... even where I live, I still use whatever the factory fill is. Service the trans according to the maintenance schedule. Avoid using overdrive in urban areas and when towing. When stopped on a hill, use the brakes - do not use the throttle as a "hill holder".

Reply to
Jim Warman

Reply to
jrchilds

We have a hill which we must stop on (red light) a few times a week. The hill is such that I can take my foot off the gas, and the tranny will hold the truck there with no brakes. I had a friend flip out when he saw this. He said the tranny was working too hard to hold the truck (I call the Expy a truck). He said I should use the brakes instead. I asked him what he thought the tranny would be doing if I used the brakes. He slowly got this "Never mind" look. :-)

I understand you're talking about hills where you would need to apply throttle to hold on the hill.That's not a good ldea.

Reply to
Big Bill

I would want to see comparative readings of torque converter temperature before I got too giddy one way or the other. Using the service brakes correctly takes very little effort and the brakes will already be applied should some unforseen event occur.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Well, for the hill where the tranny will hold the vehicle without the brakes, there's no difference to the tranny whether you apply the brakes or not. Consider, the tranny will be working against either the brakes or the hill, whichever, take your pick. If the brakes supply the same force as the hill, the tranny sees no difference. It will see the same resistance as if you were on level ground with the brakes applied. TC temps will remain the same, since it's doing the exact same work.

Reply to
Big Bill

I understand what you are saying...... and can even almost agree with it. I would, however, like to see the comparative temperature readings rather than assuming anything.

Engine rpm also needs to be taken into consideration since any torque multiplication will increase the heat build up.

Reply to
Jim Warman

The drivetrain doesn't change RPMs because the wheels are blocked by a curb, as opposed to the wheels being blocked by the brakes. It neither knows or cares *why* the load is present, it just knows the load is there. If you're stopped at an idle (as at a red light), the drivetrain doesn't care if the load is presented by the brakes or a hill, or a curb, or a dog, or your kid's tricycle. It simply has no mechanism to know or care, or adjust the RPMs.

Reply to
Big Bill

I wont be drawn into a pissing contest... you can have it whichever way you like it. I will neither suggest nor recommend doing it "this way". It has been many years since transmissions were "overbuilt" and late model automatics can re-adjust our spending habits if they require repair. There is little to be gained in performing a simple task in a "unique" manner... especially given the human subconcious reaction of pedalling the car to maintain that grasp on remaining stationary.

You may treat your car however you feel, but I feel I must caution against recommending these same practices to those with less experience or knowledge. Any condition that will have a chance of increasing the operating temp of the transmission should be avoided if possible. When the converter is slipping, it is generating heat. It is just as easy to burn a transmission up at 0 mph as it is at 70 mph.

Reply to
Jim Warman