96 Explorer transmission problems

I'm posting this on behalf of a friend. His son is in Gainesville and his Explorer barely made it up...trans kept jumping out of overdrive on the highway. When he pulled over to check trans fluid it looked fine but reverse was sporatic and it was having shifting problems until he got it home. Now his father is in south Florida trying figure out how to take care of this...remotely because his son is a mechanically challenged intellectual type.

Anyone know what it might sound like? Trans, computer, motor issue ??? I need to know where to start so I can get it driven to right place.

96 Explorer, 4 door, V-8, 2 wheel drive, auto

Thanks, Richard

Reply to
Richard Ray

Fred 2

Check engine light ON? Overdrive light flashing? Both may indicate you need to get it to a shop that will read the codes to determine the first course of action. Unless there are noises during shifts and such it may not be the tranny. A good tranny shop will read the codes, take it for a test drive before they drop the pan to check for debris, etc. Of course if you haven't changed the fluid regularly (and you need to with this type) you may be looking at an expensive repair. Pick a reputable shop with good references.

Reply to
Al Williams