96 Explorer won't start no fuel

It ran yesterday, today it just cranks. Fuel pump relay clicks when key on so I assume it is good, fuel pump fuse is good. I pressed the fuel pressure diagnostic port open while cranking, no fuel came out. Must not be fuel pressure but why?

Reply to
rmm

It ran yesterday, today it just cranks. Fuel pump relay clicks when key on so I assume it is good, fuel pump fuse is good. I pressed the fuel pressure diagnostic port open while cranking, no fuel came out. Must not be fuel pressure but why?

Reply to
rmm

That is the same symptom my friend's explorer had when the crankshaft position sensor was out of position. Since the engine is not turning (cause the sensor does not see the turning) then the fuel pump is cut, thus no fuel pressure.

The sensor has two tabs that must be almost touching the tone ring in the crankshaft pulley (balancer). With a new sensor, the adjustment procedure is to leave the tabs touching the tone ring which will wear them out to proper clearance.

This is easy to check and may save you a bundle, worth a try.

rmm wrote:

Reply to
AS

Also check the fuel pump cutoff switch. It could have tripped.

Reply to
Mikepier