96 Explorer won't start Occasionally!

I have an odd problem where my explorer will not start every so often. For example, it will not even turnover. Feels like no fuel is pushing through. We then wait awhile and it starts fine and doesn't happen again for awhile. But the last 2 days it has done it on my wife and the 1st time took 10 minutes of sitting there till it started but it happened again and it took over an hour to get started.

Reply to
Bradbugman

What does "it will not even turnover" mean? When you turn the key to the start position, does the engine crank over? Or are you sayng it will crank, but not run?

If it will crank but not start, there are ways to troubleshoot the problem. The engine needs three things to start: compression, proper air/fuel mixture getting to the cylinders, and spark at the right time. Troubleshooting will help determine where the problem is. If the ignition is delivering spark at the proper time, and the engine sounds like it always did when cranking before the problem started, then the problem is probably in the fuel system. A compression check will show the state of the compression. :-\ Elimination of the compression and ignition will usually point to the remaining factor: the fuel system. Troubleshooting isn't that difficult for major failures like a failure to start.

It's the little things that can drive a mechanic nuts, especially intermittant electrical problems. :-(

Bill Funk Change "g" to "a"

Reply to
Big Bill

I'm not quite sure what symptoms you are describing. Is the starter motor turning? Do you hear a click when you turn the key to Start? Sometimes a starter motor will be intermittant if the brushes are just about worn out.

Reply to
Ulysses

Neutral Safety switch, next time, just push the gear selelctor up, and try again. I think you will be surprised

Reply to
barrythedude - remove yer HAT and COAT to reply

Hello I have a 94 explorer and my friend has a 95 and we both had this trouble a shop can not tell you what the problem is because they can only test the truck if it wont start I took mine in and it started for them so it could not be checked this was happing to me what the problem is under the hood on the passager side fender there is a black box lift the over up and this is relays in there the next time it wont start (just turns over but sounds like its not getting gas) turn your key on and lift your hood go to thje relays and move them side to side it should the the middle relay on the right side of thr box and you will here it click on.To fix this take the to bolds out that tolds the relay box pull the box out and use a screw driver to pull the connectors out a little so that it make a good connection let me know if this helps Mike

Reply to
Mike73