96 radio display

OK, before everyone chimes in and says "that's the well-known and well-documented Mach radio display problem," let me say that my Explorer is a 1996 model and does NOT have a Mach radio.

During the day, when my lights are off, the radio display works fine, as it always has. The other day, I was driving in the early morning and had my lights on. The radio display was very dim, barely visible. I couldn't get it to change by turning my dash lights up or down. A little while later, it was working fine again (nice and bright). Last night, it was dim again, and I never noticed it go back to normal.

I pulled the radio out and did not see any loose connections.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Ratbert

Radio displays usually dim when you turn the headlights on - I think it's so it's not so glaring at night or something. Is it only dim when the headlights are on?

Reply to
Al Williams

Yes, it's only when the headlights are on. I've been driving this vehicle for years, though, and until just recently, the display was just as bright as the dash lights when the headlights were on. You could turn the dash lights up and down, and the radio lights would follow. Now the radio lights are just dim if the lights are on.

Reply to
Ratbert

This is normal behavior, at least with my '98 EB. The radio display is suppose to dim when the headlights turn on. You can adjust the brightness of the radio display, and the entire instrument panel, with the Panel Dimmer Control on the dash.

Note, I *think* there may be a way to disable this feature when entering the radio's Self-Diagnostic Mode, but I cannot remember the button combination for entering the SDM? In addition, I doublt all models have the SDM feature and the button combinations may vary between the models that are supported. Maybe someone with more expertise can provide more information.

Good luck,

Steven

Reply to
Steven Hilgendorf

I can't adjust the brightness anymore. It used to work, but it stopped.

Reply to
Ratbert

As you already know, it's not uncommon for Ford Explorer radios to develop various problems and apparently your '96 is no exception. I've had my '98 EB radio replaced four times, under warranty, for various (i.e. display, on/off/volume switch, etc.) problems too, so I can empathize your frustrations.

If I didn't have to worry about loosing my steering wheel and rear seat controls, I would have upgraded the head unit with a quality after-market unit years ago.

Good luck,

Steven

Reply to
Steven Hilgendorf