'96 XLT 4Dr Rear springs sagging?

Am wondering if there is a way to determine if the rear springs on my '96 (106k miles) are sagging, or if it's just my imagination? It seems to ride rougher than in the past, and I seem to get more people flashing headlights as if my high-beams were on. Is even worse with two people riding in back - as if it takes almost no load at all to sag the rear end even further.

I know the '95+ models have different front/rear wheel well heights, which give the appearance of a sagging rear, but when I measured the front ride height according to spec, it is already almost an inch lower than spec, and the rear end still appears to be sagging significantly.

Haven't been able to find anything that specs what the rear ride height should be, other than a tolerance from side to side.. I measured between the top of the rear axle and the rubber bumper and have about 3" of clearance on both sides, but don't know if this is normal clearance or not. This is on a '96 XLT 4dr 4x4 with the trailer tow package (although it has never been used to tow a trailer).

Any ideas on how to determine they are indeed sagging and if the ride height/comfort would benefit from replacement or re-arc?

Thanks, Steve

Reply to
Just_Steve

Hi Steve, I am in UK and I hope I am not trying to give wrong advice. UK models have an electric ride height adjuster. On/off switch located inside left rear panel where the jack is stored. Hope this helps Ian Lowrie

Reply to
Ian Lowrie

Thanks Ian. In the states some models have something called Automatic Ride Control (ARC) which can cause the vehicle to raise/lower depending on conditions. I believe it only came on some of the higher end models, but I don't have it on my lowly XLT. I think getting new springs or re-arcing the existing would improve the ride and allow me to get the front end raised back up into specs, but since Ford apparently doesn't publish any sort of ride height for the rear end, so I'm just guessing. Was hoping maybe someone with a vehicle in the 95-97 model range could supply a comparative measurement (I have about 3" between the top of the axle and the rubber limit bumper).

Thanks.

Reply to
Just_Steve