'96 XLT replace steering rack

I have a leaking steering rack that drips through the worn boot. It's making my driveway a mess. I think I am going to have to replace the rack. Does anyone know of a step by step guide for rack replacement for a Do-It-Yourselfer? The local garage wants $600.

Thanks

JC

Reply to
Jchick

I would assume that includes the price of the rack... Not a bad deal when one considers that an alignment (or at least toe adjustment) is required after replacement.

Replacement is pretty straight forward... be sure that the steering wheel is locked before undoing the input shaft. Failing to do this could cost you a clock spring. Whether you go with a short rack or opt for a long rack will change some of the steps. Your best bet for instructions are to purchase a manual or check your local library (that's the big building downtown full of books) to see if they have one for loan...

Reply to
Jim Warman

You're very f*cking welcome....

Reply to
Jim Warman

Hey Jim, I got called out of town and just returned. I did stop by a library and looked at a Chiltons manual, looks pretty much like the method you described. I might to find another manual and see if the instructions are the same. Or I suppose I could just spend the money and have the mechanic do it.

Thansk for the reply!

JC

Jim Warman wrote:

Reply to