97 3rd brake light?

Does anyone have any experience with 1997 3rd brake lights? I have noticed my light works intermittently, I placed a mirror behind the truck and tested the light and it works one minute, then I push the brakes again and nothing. I can't imagine how much this bulb costs since I just purchased one of those headlamp control switch bulbs and it was $11 at dealer. Good they changed to LEDs in 98. (For the brake light that is) Thanks for all your help, Joe

Reply to
Joe G.

The 3rd brake light on '95-'97 Explorers is a fluorescent light and ballast system. I can't remember if Ford sells them separate or not though. I've seen prices in the neighborhood of $275 for parts only to fix from Ford but I don't know if that included just the lamp or ballast or both. People seem to have the best luck replacing the ballast with one from a salvage yard for about $100.

Robert

Reply to
Robert Eberhardt

A couple of years ago I had a complete failure of the ballast for the 3rd brake light. IIRC, a new one at the dealer cost about $70.

Reply to
David Petrone