97 4WD Gasket & Chain problems

My engine temp shot up one day, so I got out of my car to find that the coolant reservior was completely empty and OI needed to add water to my radiator. After completing those tasks, it quit overheating for about a week, then started again. The both the radiator and reservior were empty yet again, and I soon found that the coolant reservior will empty within a matter of hours without even starting my car...yet there was never any leak. This same day, my check engine light came on. Now I must note, that through the course of these problems, the engine was idling very roughly. No funny smells. No steam anywhere. Also, there is a clanking that sounds like a loose chain inside the engine, but the sound isn't always present. I took it to my mechanic. He said that a gasket had blown and there was a loose chain in my engine. The repairs were expensive, and I should sell it while it's still running.

Considering the amount of money I've spilled into repairs in the past year, I need a second opinion.

Reply to
Katiefitter

I'd love to help, but the info is too sketchy...... There are pattern failures associated with all flavours of the 4.0..... Some failures can be a bit spendy but the basic motor appears near bullet proof.

Bottom line is for you to decide what is best for you.... If you can get into something still covered with a transferable warranty, you may be ahead of the game...... Something "barefoot" might get you into something similar to what you have. This is too personal of a decision to be made by a third party.

Reply to
Jim Warman