97 Exp Front Wheel Fell Off

My mechanic was reworking the front diff on 97 Explorer to get rid of strange noise. Had front axles out and went to park it on lot. Left front wheel came off destroyed fender when vehicle sat on wheel. Not supposed to happen!

Reply to
Robert Olson

Yikes! I presume your mechanic did not have everything together. Is this correct? Or is there some other bigger problem us Explorer owners need to worry about now?

Reply to
Gerald Riggs

Reply to
Robert Olson

Presumably the wheel didn't simply fall off the lugs? So, what other bits were still attached to it? And who gets to pay for a new fender...?

Simon H

Reply to
Simon H

I am assuming that the bearing separated???? Without the front axle stub shaft in place a the nut correctly torqued, there is no surprise. Dynamic forces, even in parking lot maneuvering, can be more than equal to press fit assemblies of this nature. Your tech has just learned a valuable (in more ways that one) lesson.

Jim Warman

Reply to
Robert Olson