97 Explorer "Air Ride System" - Constantly adjusting

My 97 Explorer has the "air ride" suspension system. A while back the computer started showing a "check air ride system" error. The system seems to have degenerated to the point that it is constantly adjusting. I have really worked this poor truck hard, hauling everything from groceries to loads of stone for rock walls, so I probably have damaged the compressor, shocks, who knows.

My mechanic took a look and said he had no idea what to do, other than replace the system, or rip it out and put in a standard set of shocks. I would like to preserve the system, but expect to have to sell body parts to get ford replacements. Are there any alternatives? Is there a better system than what ford makes and where would I get it? Can the shocks be removed and replaced with standard shocks, and how will the computer function after that? Is there a source of rebuilt compressors and shocks?

The truck has about 60K miles on it and this and a heater/air issue (click click click) it is in perfect condition. Any advice to help me fix this will be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
DonnyBoy

You'll need to have the codes for the suspension system read....... find a shop with the NGS tester (the SnapOn MT2500 might be able to but I can't be posistive). There will be codes stored that will help in diagnosing the concern.

I will assume that the problem is that the compressor runs more often than normal???? or does the front or rear of the car have St.Vitus Dance??

Jim Warman

Thanks Jim. I am leaning to just replacing the system with a conventional (non-air ride) system. Do you forsee any issues with that course of action? Do I need to have the computer reprogrammed to work properly?

compressor,

Reply to
DonnyBoy

There may be some issues with the springs, but I can't be sure. I believe the ride control module is separate from other modules so I don't think there should be any legacy type problems.

Jim Warman

Thanks Jim for the help. I do appreciate it

conventional

Reply to
DonnyBoy