'97 Explorer (circling the drain)Plethora of problems

Well, here are the problems with my '97 EB explorer.

  • Serious suspension problem. You hit a bump at any speed over 45 and it's like a rocking boat. It really is sort of relaxing. Any suggestions as to what EXACT part that could be?

*My O/D light started blinking, just like the other folks EXCEPT it blinked for about 15 minutes, turned off the car, came back, and I haven't seen it since. Needless to say, i HAVE noticed an increasingly harder shift between second and third. I had fluid added this past friday, but no flush or filter change. I had the transmission flushed and the filter changed last May.

*My speedometer decided to sporatically jump until it just died. Frozen cable I presume.

  • At the same time my speedometer crapped out, my 4WD and 4WD LOW lights started blinking. They blinked six times every two minutes. This happened about an hour after I turned my 4WD off, coming down from Wolf Creek Ski area.

*My passenger side door quit opening from the outside.

I think that's all for now. The check engine light came on today. Well hell, if I was my car, I'd turn it on too. This all happened in the last week. Everything except the suspension, that sort of creeped up on me. Any suggestions could really help me out.

Reply to
Katiefitter

like a rocking boat. It really is sort of relaxing. Any suggestions as to what EXACT part that could be?

Shock absorbers

for about 15 minutes, turned off the car, came back, and I haven't seen it since. Needless to say, i HAVE noticed an increasingly harder shift between second and third. I had fluid added this past friday, but no flush or filter change. I had the transmission flushed and the filter changed last May.

Take it to someone who can read the trouble codes.

I believe a '98 uses an electronic speedometer (no cable). It could be the vehicle speed sensor, the actual speedometer, or the wiring in between.

started blinking. They blinked six times every two minutes. This happened about an hour after I turned my 4WD off, coming down from Wolf Creek Ski area.

This is related to the above problem. If the vehicle speed sensor has failed, you can lose your speedometer, have transmission shifting concerns, and automatic 4WD problems.

Broken / diconnected link to the lach. Disassembly of the door will be required to fix this.

Bad vehicle speed sensor could also be a factor here.

week. Everything except the suspension, that sort of creeped up on me.

I suggest you take the vehicle to a dealer with proper diagnostic equipment.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White