97 Explorer Door Lock Stuck Unlocked (not appear frozen actuator)

Looking for help so I don't have to reinvent the wheel.

Problem: Passenger Front Door will not lock, period.

(1) Keyless remote will not lock it. (2) Armrest button will not lock it. (3) Manual key will not lock it. (4) Black button refuses to go down when manually depressed. Feel resistance.

If attempt electronic lock, the black button bounces downward, without going all the way.

If attempt to manually lock with key, the key easily cycles to the unlock position, but the black button does not move. Similarly, the key will easily cycle to the locked position, but again the black button does not move.

It seems as if the locking mechanism is totally detached from the manual key mechanism.

I am hoping someone else has insights before I rip off the door panel.

I had achieved a workaround for this problem a few months ago because, at that time, I was able to manually key the lock into the locked position, then successfully lock the door with the electronic signal. However, this fix no longer works.

Thanks,

Mark

KW: 97 1997 ford explorer door doors lock locks key stuck inoperative repair repairing fix fixing power security

Reply to
L. Mark Bruffey

That was a fix??? Sounds more like a "work around".You may get away with removing the latch assembly and cleaning/lubing but one would have to get in there and see exactly what the problem is.

These are machines, not flesh and blood...... problems do not cure themselves but, if left over time, they can dredge a deeper gouge into our pocketbooks than if they were fixed early in the process..

Reply to
Jim Warman