97 explorer hub problems

I went to get my front end aligned and they wouldn't do it because my wheel bearing was bad.He gave me a price on changing the bearing.I decided to do it myself and when I called for the part they said I had to change the whole hub ass.Is this true?Does anyone have a pic. of the hub and is this a hard job?I just replaced both upper control arms.

Reply to
billb

I just replaced a hub assembly on a 95 Explorer. To answer your questions, yes the whole hub assembly needs to be replaced as a unit. On the Explorer it includes the hub with studs, new bearings, and a new sensor cable. I found prices for the part only ranging from $135 for aftermarket to over $250 dealer price. On mine, the job wasn't too hard and here's what needs to be done:

  1. Remove tire/wheel, caliper assembly w/ brake shoes, and then remove the brake rotor.
  2. Remove three bolts holding the hub asm. and the nut fastening the axle to the hub. This will probably be the hardest part as the bolts & nut are really tight & clearances are close. You might want to consider buying a 6 pt x 1/2" drive deep impact socket for the 3 bolts. It's metric but I don't remember the size. The axle spline could be tight in the hub. (mine came apart without trying)
3.Remove the hub asm. along with the sensor cable. 4.Clean up the mating areas and re-assemble in reverse. I applied some waterproof grease to the axle spline just "in case". I think the job took me 3-4 hours or so. It wasn't too difficult, I was expecting worse. The difficulty depends on how corroded all the fasteners & parts are. Hope this helps---good luck---Ray
Reply to
CRAngelo

Thanks Ray.Usually with me,what can go wrong will.

Reply to
billb