97 Explorer Limited - question about "Air Ride System" special shocks

I have a '97 Explorer Limited with the "Air Ride System" adjustable air suspension.

The "Check Air Ride System" message started appearing intermittently and, when I took it to the dealer to read the code, they told me I needed 3 new shocks.

Each costs $249.00 (best price after shopping around). Most non-Ford dealers wouldn't even touch it since the shocks apparently have an integrated computer chip inside them.

They also work a little differently than the original shocks that came with the car. When installed, they will no longer be controlled by the onboard computer in the car but, rather, they will work on their own independently. The "Air Ride" system will, in effect be disconnected.

I have 3 Questions:

1- Does this make sense or are they trying to pull the wool over my eyes?

2- Is it advisable/safe to install 3 of the new shocks along with the different/original shock (in the left front)? Shouldn't the shocks be replaced in pairs?

3- Can this model use standard shocks like the XLS/XLT models or do they have to be the special "air ride" shocks?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts/feedback!

Reply to
Just Me

Mine has had a history of showing the light from time to time since it was new. It works just fine. I think there is a sensor that gets dirty or something else - not the ARS itself. Eventually the light goes out. And it does NOT reappear when I've just reset the computer so I am sure it is not merely "ignoring a failure" after some period of time.

If the system appears to function (switch into LO and see that the suspension raises, open a door to see that the ARS shuts off) I'd not put money into the repairs you listed is the shocks are otherwise not in need of replacement.

Reply to
Herb Kauhry

Thanks Herb. What about the idea that the dealer was selling to replace

3 of the shocks vs. all four & that the new shocks are "different" now and don't use the ARS?

The Explorer is not the most stable car to begin with - do the shocks need to be replaced in pairs or is mixing 3 new & one old shock asking for trouble?

Reply to
ed

That's crazy talk.

Reply to