97 EXPLORER...REAR WHEEL AND/OR SUSPENSION PROBLEMS

Recently, while making a hard right turn, the vehicle suddenly hesitated as if it was in 4 wheel drive. However, when myself and my mechanic looked at the problem the right rear wheel seemed to me slightly lifting off the ground during the turn. My mechanic stated the spider gears in the "pumpkin" looked slightly worn and slightly out of place but was not 100% sure that that was the problem. He stated it could be anything from a simple ball bearing or anyting else to a problem in the axle itself. The vehicle feels fine with only a little resistance when driving straight and on soft turns but hard turns is when it really drags. Can anyone help me?? I have a honeymoon the plan and I need the cheapest logical solution.

Reply to
fireman3412

The simplest, most likely solution that I can think of is that if you had your rear differential oil changed no friction modifier was added.

Reply to
Ulysses

Reply to
fireman3412 via CarKB.com

I'm having some modem problems and my response got lost somewhere in cyberspace.

Take a look at the post from 3/15 or 3/16 called "explorer 4x4 lights flashing" or something like that. My reader seems to have deleted it. Anyway, it discusses a slightly different problem than what you are having involving a sensor on the transfer case. You did not say if your 4WD light is flashing but my understanding is that if it was you would not have any

4WD instead of too much. According to Hayne's the control trac engagnement is controlled inside the transfer case by the GEM (generic electronic module) and you may or may not be able to manually move the transfer case into the 2H position by removing the servo motor.

The control trac uses sensors to compare the speed of the front and rear wheels and if they are different it will assume slippage and will engage 4H. Different sized tires or worn tires could cause it to think it's slipping.

From what I've read you may need to have it read by a GEM diagnostics reader (or whatever it's called) to pinpoint the problem

Hopefully someone who knows more about control trac will respond soon. I've not had any problem with the 4WD on my '97 yet but have worked on the early Explorer's 4WD problems.

Reply to
Ulysses