97 Explorer SOHC Hard Start

I have a 97 Explorer with the 4 liter SOHC engine. Mileage is 101,000. Recently have been having difficulty starting at times. Mechanic checked and was getting a lean bank code but the "Check Engine" light was not coming on. He smoke tested the vehicle and noticed a leak in the vacuum line component near the IAC. I was told that this part is over $200 at the Ford dealer. Has anyone had a similar problem with the SOHC engine?

Thanks in advance, Ron Munroe Falls, Ohio

Reply to
Ron Bruno

The IAC valve is a common repair item on Explorers with your mileage. I just checked Autozone and they are $104 there. As I recall, though, it is an electrically operated valve, so I am not sure about the vacuum leak observation. The IAC will give problems like difficulty maintaining idle without holding the accelerator down or may make a loud moaning sound when it is failing to operate properly. Many have had at least temporary success removing it and cleaning the valve mechanism. It is very easy to access and can be changed with ordinary tools, too.

=Vic= Bear Gap, PA

Reply to
Vic Klein

Yea, what Vic said. So far, on three Explorers, I've managed to avoid replacing the IAC by cleaning it with carb cleaner and adding a tiny amount of oil to the moving parts.

I'm not familiar with the SOHC (only have OHV engines) but, like Vic said, the IAC is electric, not vacuum.

Reply to
Ulysses

"Ulysses" wrote in news:gm2l6c$1t4$ snipped-for-privacy@news.motzarella.org:

When was the last time the fuel filter was replaced? Mine would start hard, or not even start, intermittantly.Once started, ran fine. Two shops could not find anthing wrong, or any failure codes. I checked my records, and noticed that fuel filter had not been replaced for over 35,000 miles. Replaced filter, and have not had the problem reoccur for several years now.

Reply to
Al Tsiemers

That's very interesting. Ford says the fuel filter should last for the "life of the engine" but they don't say how long that life is :-| I change mine every 100,000 miles whether it needs it or not. 35,000 seems kinda short, but if it needed to be changed....

Reply to
Ulysses

Fuel filters cost a few bucks. Easy to replace. Change annually, keep your engine happy. A clogged fuel filter is a good way to burn out a fuel pump. When that happens, now you're talking big bucks.

Remember, Ford is in the car sales business. "Life of the vehicle" is how long they want you to hang onto it before buying a new one.

Reply to
Mike Lenker