97 Explorer Timing Chain Life?

I have a 97 Explorer with the conventional V6 not the SOHC. What is the expected timing chain life? I have 190,000 miles on it and everything is original except the sparkplugs, hoses, and serpentine belt.

....Larry

Reply to
LB

The 4.0 pushrod started life as a 2.8 with gear driven camshaft. Yours is also gear driven and should last the life of the engine. 190K is great, time to save those bucks and opt for a 2004 with 0.0 miles. That's my take on it.

R.B.

LB wrote:

Reply to
KS&M

The 4.0 OHV does indeed have a timing chain.... as well as a hydraulically actuated chain tensioner and a separate chain guide. I haven't heard of anyone experiencing a timing chain failure nor have I ever been asked to replace a chain on a 4.0 OHV. It appears (on the outside, at least) that the chain may last the life of the motor.... which appears to be a long, long time.

HTH

Jim Warman