97 ford explorer 5.0 liter drive abilty prolbems

Idles fine, then when in drive it shudders and stops. Runs very rough. Some days it will clear up and runs fine for so long 1 day 2 days then this prolbem crops up again. Fuel pressure WHILE having this prolbem was 31 psi. Any thoughts.

Reply to
Darryl12

It's a long-shot but I just had a problem with my '97 4.0 OHV that, as far as I can tell, was a dirty connection on the crankcase position sensor. Mine was a starting problem but I imagine it could cause other problems as well. It'll only take a minute to pull it off, spray it with some brake cleaner or WD-40, and stick it back on.

Other than that I think I would check the vacuum hoses and connections and clean the MAF, check the air cleaner etc. But you probably already did that, huh?

Reply to
Ulysses

This vechile stalls when put in drive or reverse, runs fine at low, middle, or high speeds. In park it idles fine and revs up fine. when you put it in reverse or drive it dies unless you have it in nuetral reved up and drop it into drive. When driving it also stalls when stopping in traffic. This is a prolbem that comes and goes fine for so long then it crops up. fuel pressure been checked, idle control valve checks out ok. spark plug and wires are new and ok.

Does not trip any codes. EGR??? Would that not trip a code?

Reply to
Darryl12

Torq converter stays locked up ????????

Reply to
JohanB

I do not know, it has been so long since I have checked a torque converter I hardly remenber how. I remenber accelatoring with the brakes on to check the torque convertor. Your thought was the torque convertor is locked up and killing the engine whrn it is shifted into gear.

Reply to
Darryl12