'97 Ford Explorer AWD Front end goes back and forth when braking

Trying to verify if my front rotors are bad or something else. When I brake my front-end feels like it's going back and forth like I was pumping my brakes, but I'm not feeling it in the brake pedal. I was assuming my rotors are really warped so I jacked up the front end, put the truck in neutral, then took the tire off and tried spinning the rotor to see if it was warped. But I could not rotate the rotor. Does the AWD not let you rotate one tire? Even with both front tires in the air and only brake brakes on and the truck running in neutral, I could not rotate the tire.

Any similar experience with the front end shaking like your pumping the breaks?

Reply to
Joe

Could be warped rotors, (even in the rear) or an equilizer valve.

I don't think you can free spin one wheel in an AWD unless all four wheels are up off the ground, even in neutral. Putting it in neutral only disengages the tranny from the engine, not the transfer case from all four wheels.

If what I'm thinking is what you're experiencing, it could be the rotors. What is the mileage on your vehicle and when were the brakes last worked on (having them turned also) ?

r/

-Ian

Reply to
IanCT