97 sport suspension question

97 sport 4.0 sohc 80,000 km (50,000mi)

My explorer (I've babied since new) has developed an odd habit. I had my

16" tires replaced by Ford with Goodyear AT's. I had a bad vibration start about two months ago. The Goodyear dealer said that the tires were good - it had to be the truck?. My dealer (great guys) checked with a "road force balancer" and said that the belts had shifted on two tires, they had the tires replaced. The new tires are on the back. I now have a severe wandering problem at highway speeds - the truck will actually jump sideways over expansion joints. This was not noticeable with the old tires. The dealer says that there is major wear in the front suspension and wants to start by changing the lower ball joints as they have over 50 thousands play. This was estimated at about 650.00 (canuck) and that this should solve the problem. My question: Has anyone else had this problem and/or solution? Does this sound like normal wear at this mileage? My shocks are KB's and about a year and a half old.

Thanks!

Rob Fairfield

Reply to
Rob

If the ball joints are at fault that sounds like a little premature wear, but of course if you travel on some less than favorable roads, it may just be fairly accurate.

I imagine they checked the tie rods as well, which could also lead to the drift over expansion joints, but you would also notice a shimmy during your drive if they were at fault. (and tire wear, toe type)

Not sure about the 50/1000ths play, but that sounds like it could be at fault. With the new tires on the front do you still experience the same problem? I realize they probably put the two new ones on the rear since it is a RWD vehicle. Try rotating them and see if the problem disappears with the new ones up front.

$650 sounds about right for the repair. Maybe a little high by $60 to $100, but I wouldn't complain with that price at a dealer, might be cheaper than most others, and you say they're great guys so if you trust 'em, and the lower ball joints are it, go for it if your wallet can handle it. :)

Good luck!

Reply to
IanCT