97 xlt factory rack, how much weight can it support?

Ok, I have a 97 xlt with a factory rack, how many pounds can I put on it evenly distributed? I want to throw a canoe and kayak on there if I can.

Reply to
fogdog

The weight rating will either be on the carrier or in the owners manual... working from memory, I recall in the neighbourhood of 10 pounds.

Reply to
Jim Warman

I upgraded my rack to a Yakima just for that purpose. (my canoe) The factory rack was not able to support the weight of my superlight canoe. I think the factory rack is for show.

Searcher1

Reply to
Searcher1

Well I am about to push it to the limits.

Reply to
fogdog

I think the main issue that I had for replacing the factory rack, was that it was too narrow for the canoe. Maybe a kayak would have fit better.

Searcher1

Reply to
Searcher1

Well the canoe and kayak are on the top. I will keep yall posted if everything works out.

Reply to
fogdog

I have had two Exploders and kayaked, biked and lumber hauled with them each, extensively.

The rating, from memory is 100lb and they will take that. I have carried a plastic double kayak (80lb) and a single glass kayak (20lb) with just a bolt on upright bar in the center of the original rack. Eventually this started to weaken the joint next to the mount and my boating ambitions grew to the point where I bought a Yakima rack that fits the same tracks and I double up now and leave both rack on their.

The original is not for show and works well for occasional use, up to its limit. If your working at 100lb, go for the Yakima.

David Raleigh

Reply to
David

Here is a photo with the canoe and kayak on. I have other angles of it also.

fogdog