97 xlt whirring noise

Whenever I get up to 50 or 60 mph and slow down from this speed (take foot off gas) the engine makes a load whirring noise/loud strain when down shifting. I took it to a transmission place. Transmission needs to be rebuilt to the tune of $1700 - 2100. Mileage is 252k. Does this price seem right for mileage and age? I really can't afford to keep pumping money into this vehicle. I'm disappointed it didn't last longer. I'm going to put it up on craig's list and disclose to the buyer above information. Everything else works fine though. Please send me condolences because I'm sad...I love my explorer to death - we have had some great adventures but no more.

your pal,

fogdog

Reply to
barnardgumble

I was told by Aamco that quote. According to a post I read on this newsgroup Aamco is a bad idea..is there somewhere else I should try? I live in Denver.

Dear God NO!!!! NEVER go to AAMCO unless there are simply no other choices. There might be an honest one somewhere but you are rolling the dice. They will try to get you to let them "diagnose" it for you. By the time they are done you'll have a basketful of parts with a choice of "We can rebuild it for you for $3000 or we can give you this basketful of parts and you can get it towed out of here."

Reply to
barnardgumble
252K on an original transmission? Sounds like you broke a record and should be very proud.

No advice on AAMCO. This is a franchise, so every shop may be different. I used them once, 15 years ago. At first had to go back for a leak due to a loose cooling tube fitting. Then found out that it refused to downshift under load. Took three trips for them to acknowledge the problem, but they finally found a broken spring in the valve body and replaced it. Years later, when I replaced the engine, I found out that the original torque converter was still there, even though AAMCO charged me for a new one. Nevertheless, that rebuilt C5 is still going strong, and I put 120K on it since. Certainly got my money's worth, considering that the original one failed at 75K...

Reply to
Happy Traveler