98 4door xlt keypad question

Hi all, I have a 98 xlt 2wd 4door that some kids broke into. I need to replace the drivers door keypad since the sliced it up real bad. My question is I see these things on ebay and it looks like they are just stuck to the side of the car???? No wires??? This sounds odd to me but i don't know. Has anyone ever replaced one of these things? If so is it that easy to just peel it off and stick on a new one? If not could someone be kind enough to explain how to install it. My insurance company after pro rating/ deductable is barly covering the broken rear quater window. I'm screwe for this unless I do it myself. Thanks, John

Reply to
John

No, the ones you see on ebay are basically just remote keyfobs with a code. They have a battery, and just peel-n-stick.

They are intended for vehicles that have REMOTE keyless entry, but no keypad.

ALTHOUGH, if you wanted, you could rip your O.E. pad off, and stick one of these over the holes, and it would work fine. Although it's a bit ghetto if you ask me :)

Reply to
Chief_Wiggum

Damn, OK thanks. How hard is it to replace one if I got the correct ford part???

Reply to
John

They're not too hard at all... take the door panel off, and access the nut (or 2, I forget) from inside the door. Then it plugs in, and that's it.

crappy thing is they are hard to find. Junkyards won't sell them without selling the whole door!

Reply to
Chief_Wiggum

Reply to
John