98 Explorer

Hi folks, I own an 98 Explorer V-8, 5.0 with 105 thousand miles, everything original under the hood except the radiator hoses I replaced last summer. I started the vehicle two days ago and it immediately died, on the third try it continued running, very roughly. After driving about 1 mile it smoothed up and the problem hasn't occured since. How often should a person change the chip that is near the bottom of the dist., could this be part of my problem? Thanks for any and all help. Steve

Reply to
Esteban

I would like to make an addition to my first post. Today at stop signs the engine idled between 450 and 500 rpm, just barely running, however, that was on a very short drive...perhaps two miles and three stop signs. I turned the A/C on during one of the stops and the rpm didn't change. Also, I failed to mention in the first post that none of the idiot lights are burning. Steve

Reply to
Esteban

If it runs rough at idle but runs fine otherwise with your foot on the gas, it's probably the IAC valve. Do a search and you'll see its an easy fix. You pretty much have to remove it, clean it out and put it back in. Or, by a new one if cleaning it does not work.

Reply to
Mikepier