98 Explorer - A/C Compressor Clutch engaging on/off

I have a 98 Explorer that has a Air Conditioning issue. The clutch seems to go on and off every few seconds while idling. I have worked around the issue in the winter time by turning the selector to the VENT position instead of the other heating options. I can understand the clutch engaging to perfectly adjust the temperature in the car, but when it is 30 degrees outside and the air temp inside is around

80, why should it need to engage the compressor clutch? I would think that there would be some type of hot water regulator going to the heater box or an air diverter that would mix cool air in. But no, the clutch will turn on and off and I will notice the RPM drops from 800 down to 650 or so. I am sure this isn't good for fuel economy if there is extra drag on the engine. I don't know if it is happening when I am driving or not because I can't tell the difference in the engine RPM. Anyone have any thoughts on this???

Thanks in advance! Don C

Reply to
Don-Don

It's normal for the clutch to cycle on and off when your using any of the modes except "vent" and floor heat" . This is a design to keep the compressor lubricated. The clutch will cycle on and off even when you use your A/C in the summer.

Reply to
Mikepier

In cooler weather, the AC is cycled whenever air is blowing on glass to dehumidify the air and reduce fogging. As another poster mentioned, it also excersizes the compressor and keeps the oil circulating in the system and parts lubricated.

Reply to
Jim Warman

The clutch seems to be drawing more power than normal from the engine when it engages. It also seems to engage every 5 seconds or so at 35 degrees outside temp with the heat on full (high) temperature setting. I would think that the compressor would not need to engage this often

- would it??

Reply to
Don-Don

There are only 3 modes which DON'T enable the AC compressor:

OFF

VENT

NORMAL HEAT -- BLOWING TO THE FEET ONLY

Turn the mode control to, say, heat to the feet only, and see if the compressor keeps cycling. (The other heat modes, which include sending ANY of the air to the defroster vents, or to the dashboard vents, will enable the AC compressor -- regardless of where you put the temperature control.)

Check this out.

If the compressor doesn't cycle in those modes, it may be OK.

I've had mine cycle frequently, now and then, when it's in one of those AC modes, and I don't think that's *necessarily* a bad thing.

Jim Warman can tell you more, I'm sure!

Alan Moorman

The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Paul Fix

=================================

Reply to
Alan Moorman

A low refrigerant level can cause the short cycling, but so can, for example, a bad pressure sensor. The clutch will usually draw only so much power (current) when it activates. The AC *compressor* can draw more or less, depending on several factors. This is one of those things that is best diagnosed by someone who can actually place hands on the system, and do the various tests that will give a correct answer.

BTW, when the cooling system is in thre "heat" position, the AC is supposed to work.

Reply to
Big Bill

Don-Don wrotenews:b4uls054t9ndj91kshudftm5r5r6g27est@

4ax.com:

An AC compressor cycling on and off like that is usually indicative of low freon. I think I also read that it could be the low pressure switch.

-- Riki

--Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Reply to
RikiTikiTavi