98 Explorer Belt Tensioner Replacement

I am thinking about replacing/checking by Tensioner because I am hearing a droning noise when the truck is idling. Seems to be more prominent in very hot weather.

I understand this is relatively easy to do. I took a look under the hood, and there's a belt diagram that easily identifies the belt tensioner and indicates to use a 3/8" socket wrench.

However, it looks like there is not a lot of room to work. It is about an inch or inch and a half away from the fan. If I do get it out easily enough, is the new one hard to get in? Do I basically make the belt about as tight as it is now? Can I somehow test the tensioner after I remove it, perhaps seeing if it spins smoothly?

Reply to
RogBaker

This is one of the easiest things to replace on the explorer. Disconnect your battery to make sure the fan doesn't come on. Use the 3/8" socket wrench to relieve the tension on the belt and then remove the belt from the tensioner. The tensioner has two or three bolts holding it on. Look for wobble and noise in the tensioner after you remove it. Replacement should be less than $50. Your noise might be related to your IACV, so check that too.

Reply to
Captain Coleman

Thanks for the tip. I did some searching on that and some people indicated a bad IACV could cause the engine to die occasionally when you try to start it. I have exprienced this occasionally, so I will look at this too. I found a nice website showing how to clean it. Maybe I should try to clean it first, the article said the part costs $132 at AutoZone. Here is the article:

RogBaker

Rog:

Reply to
Bill Hall

How would I know if I should replace the tensioner? I have a '95 XLT, and it's running fine and has about 116,000 miles on it. I changed the serpentine belt at about 80,000 miles. Do I need to change the tensioner? Any suggesstions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
Jacob

Well, I replaced the IACV (idle air control valve). It was $42 from AutoZone and it took about 2 minutes to swap out. Right on top of the engine and easy to get to. This may have resolved my problems. I am not

100% sure because I did not have the noise all the time. If not, I'll replace my tensioner, which looks like it would be just a little more work. Thanks for the tips guys, and I'll keep you posted.
Reply to
RogBaker

Check that the seating of the tensioner is flat and not crooked. Mine was crooked. Listen for clunks when the belt changes speeds (like when you accelerate). These tipped me off, I got a new tensioner on my Ranger just in time apparently.

Reply to
tyson.morrow

Reply to
fordtech

For me the indicator of when to replace my tensioner is when I watched it bouncing on the highway behind me. Damn thing dropped right out as I was on a big ol bridge. Limped the car into a parking lot and walked

5 miles in 100 degree heat to get a new one.

good times! =) It was a cheap part, if you have some reason to suspect it at least buy it and keep it with you, save yourself the walk!

Reply to
jfornal