98 Ford Explorer Radio

I've got a 98 Ford Explorer with the radio/CD/cassette. The problem is the LEDs that indicate frequency, time, etc do not work, so its difficult to determine what station it's tuned to. They worked intermittently for a while, then quit, so I suspect the cause is an intermittent connection in a connector.

How can I get the radio out of the dash, so that I can check if the connector on the back of the radio is loose?

Reply to
DaveD

This is a very common issue that can be fixed if your good with a soldering iron, if you did some searching you would have found it easily. Please try searching for "Ford radio display" in google and you will find lots of information:

Al Williams

I used the services at the following:

While I had to pay for the information, it did get me the fix I was looking for. I started out checking the rear connection like you did. I ended up having an issue with the pins on the front display. I had sent it of first for service from someone saying it was going to only cost $45 plus shipping, come to find out my problem wasn't the "same" problem as everyone else (so they claimed...my fix was going to cost $175 plus shipping). I had them return the radio and found the solution through the above web site, though. Hope this helps.

How can I get the radio out of the dash, so that I can check if the connector on the back of the radio is loose?

Reply to
Randy

Maybe a few pics missing, but still usable info.

terra

I have a cassette radio, This auto-reverse tape deck was removed from a 1997 Ford Thunderbird when I bought the car new in late 1997. I replaced it with a CD player. The deck was removed while still brand-new, and has been stored indoors in a box ever since. It should still work perfectly. This stereo should fit several other Ford models, but check with your local Ford dealer if unsure.

Yours for $40 including shipping

Reply to
limey