98 transfer case question

I was test driving a 98 Ford Explorer which was driving fine until I tried the 4W drive switch which is when the transfer case began to make a loud noise..... my question is, if I don't use the 4W drive is this vehicle ok to drive around town or am I looking at certain transmission/driveline failure in the near future? The price of this truck was $1900 but since I live in New York eventually I WOUlD like to fix the Transfer case, the question is: is this repair ok to put off until I actually need the 4W drive feature. I heard that these cases can not be rebuilt since they are sealed from the factory so where would be the best place to buy one?

Reply to
don

Have you changed the fluid in the transfer case recently - they are not sealed. I would do that first...

Reply to
Al Williams

Have you changed the fluid in the transfer case recently - they are not sealed. I would do that first...

I said I was test driving it.... I do not own the truck......

Reply to
Don