99' Explorer

Hi everyone, my interior lights stopped working when I open driver or any other door. I can manually turn them on but not by open the doors. Any ideas what could cause this? Thanks in advance Tino

Reply to
dosio

Possibly GEM or interior lamp relay (you have checked the fuses, right?). The door switches tell the Generic Electronic Module that a door is open and the GEM controls any necessary outputs.

Reply to
Jim Warman

It isn't unknown for the GEM to go bad.... but, since they are a tad spendy, I'd want to make sure I don't have a different concern (relay, wiring...).

The GEM can be accessed using an appropriate scan tool (sorry, the AutoZone scanner just wont cut it)... it can be polled for trouble codes and the tech can also use it to tell the GEM to activate some of it's functions to help determine if the concern is with an input or an output.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Yes , I checked fuses on side of the instrumental panel but all were OK. Are you saying that GEM may be bad,or?

.

Reply to
dosio

Thanks Jim, seems I have to do some more reasearch or read the repair manual, unless someone else had similar problem and wants to share with us Dosio

Reply to
dosio