99' Explorer just died

Hi everyone, I do have Explorer sport 4x4 ohm engine and 58000 miles on it. Until yesterday ran just fine. I had to leave, truck was still warm, started but died immediately , on second attempt started but idle very rough and died after 10 seconds , and on ,on. If I keep my foot on the gas it stay somehow above1000 rpm , as soon I take foot off, drops at 150 rpm and stay barely on. Is anyone experience similar problem? Any help will be appreciated thanks in advance Dosio

Reply to
dosio

Classic symptoms of the IAC valve. Its a common problem. It probably needs to be cleaned out with WD-40. Its easy to do. It's located by the intake manifold. Do a search on IAC valve and you'll see the results.

Reply to
Mikepier

I agree with the diagnosis, however, not with the fix! You will be betting that it may work. Best approach is a new Idle Air Valve. Between $28.00 and $35.00 at almost any good parts house! I know , Ford wants somewhere around $100.00, but the after market works fine. Done two separate "99"s !

Reply to
Bill Hall

For the record, I had this problem about 2 years ago and since I've cleaned it, It's never happened since. Of course everyone might not be as lucky as me, but my point was try cleaning it first and see what happens. If all else fails, time for a new one.

Reply to
Mikepier

Reply to
dosio

There was a recall for the intake manifold gaskets, but the problem you are describing sounds like the IAC valve.

Reply to
Mikepier

Reply to
dosio