99 Explorer Limited, Smoke coming out of steering column.

Has someone experienced anything similar?

I was sitting at a stop sign in my 99 Explorer Limited, and pressed the Off button on the cruise control by mistakes (shouldn't have done anything anyhow). A few seconds later, I saw a little bit of smoke coming out of the hole where the 'hazards' button is. Got my 2 year old out of the Explorer in a hurry...

That was it. I parked it for several hours, and eventually drove it home (without passengers!). I tried the cruise control on the way home, and it worked as expected. So I don't know if it's just a fluke or if it triggered it. Everything seems to work, although I was limiting the number of instruments I was using.

I unplugged the battery and will let it sit overnight, to ensure that the batteries in the air bag assembles are drained prior to having a look in the steering column.

So I haven't opened it yet, but I was wondering if it has happened to someone before?

Thanks,

Al

Reply to
DFastOne

riddles

Thank you Roy,

Much appreciated advise. Got the part from Ford ($106 CDN), and swapped it quite quickly. No more puffing smoke.

My '97 Taurus's wipers are acting funny and change speed without notice, it'll probably be the same part.

Al

Reply to
DFastOne

Reply to