'99 Explorer - Several Questions

I just purchased a '99 Explorer from a good friend. He gave me all the documents that came with it, including the various manuals. He had purchased this car new with all the bells, whistles, and extra chrome available that year. Unfortunately, some of the options are not explained in the owner's manual - so I have some questions. I have asked him, but the first 5 questions were never important enough to him to seek answers, and he said he gave up finding an answer to number 6. Here are the 6 questions:

  1. How does one turn on the recessed lights at the very bottom of the front bumper, one on each side?

  1. Is it possible to change the factory set entrance code on the 5-button panel on the outside of the driver's door?

  2. The radio volume display shows a small "earphone" symbol all the time. Is that normal, or does it indicate that something is engaged, and if so, how can that something be disengaged to turn off the earphone symbol?

  1. Perhaps related to question 3, there is a set of buttons at the rear of the center console, accessible to the rear seat passengers. There are labels, but I can't figure out how they work or what they control. Any ideas?

  2. There is an oval shaped device about the size of a slice of lemon mounted on the driver-side visor. It has several buttons, one of which records things one says, one of which plays those things back, and one which I believe deletes the items recorded. Additionally, there are 3 more buttons whose function are a mystery to me. Any ideas? There appears to be no wiring going to this device, and no obvious way to change a battery, so I wonder how it is powered - any ideas?

  1. Where does one purchase tissues in a box that measures

6&5/8" x 4&7/8"? This box fits inside the center console, but I have not seen such size boxes of tissues in either automobile stores like Pep Boys, Kragen, etc, or grocery/drug stores.

All ideas, and pointers to other sources of information, appreciated. (Previous attempts to obtain these types of answers from dealer personnel have not inspired confidence that such attempts would be fruitful.)

Thanks.

Reply to
CWLee

You can find tissue boxes that are 5 3/4 x 4 3/4 at many grocery stores (but not all). They will fit the opening in the '99 Explorer.

Tom

Reply to
Tom from WI

"> 2. Is it possible to change the factory set entrance code

This has got to be in the owners manual. At least it was in my owners manual for the 4 Explorers I have owned with the Key Entry.

I suspect there are places in the rear console to plug earphones in. The buttons control the volume, etc.

Reply to
Tom from WI

Thanks - I'll keep checking the grocery stores, but around here there are only 2 or 3 chains to check.

================

grocery stores (but

measures

console,

of

confidence

molesters,

Reply to
CWLee

"Tom from WI" wrote

code

door?

in my owners manual

It sure isn't in mine. Are you saying that in the ones you owned you COULD change the keypad code?

buttons

rear

out

earphones in. The

Thanks. I'll get a set of earphones and give it a try.

Reply to
CWLee

Reply to
Jerry

You can't change the factory code but you can add your own code. It's in the manual.

Pressing buttons 3&% (I think) toggles the symbol on/off. It allows the rear seat to listen to CD while the front listens to radio and vice versa. It's in the manual.

Reply to
Jerry

Thanks, Jerry. I'm beginning to suspect my owner's manual was designed for the Australian market. I find a couple of references in it to adjusting the compass for different time zones in Australia and New Zealand. Anyway, I have been through that manual VERY thoroughly, and there is NO mention of the keypad entry method, and NO explanation of the rear seat audio controls - just a picture showing where they are.

Your manual is for the 1999 Explorers, right?

Thanks again.

=====================

code

door?

in my owners manual

code. It's in

buttons

rear

out

earphones in. The

It allows the

and vice

Reply to
CWLee

I found the tissues at Wal-Mart, but not in the area where tissues are displayed. They were in the small displays at the checkout area.

The little thing on the visor is for recording memos to yourself. I never used mine.

Check the Ford web site, I think you can download the complete manual as I believe all your issues were covered in my manual (I no longer have the '99 so cannot check that).

Reply to
Big Shoe

Answer to question #6

This is where to store a Glock 17 magazine. It is instantly accessable and has never fallen out. Store with rounds down.

Reply to
To Arms!!

Here is one location where you can download the User Manual:

Tom

Reply to
Tom from WI

Bingo!

The owner's manual available there contains 264 pages, and the compass calibration section related to North America. The owner's manual that came with the Explorer I just purchased contained only 184 pages, and the compass calibration section related to Australia and New Zealand.

This US oriented owner's manual does address most of the six issues I raised in my original post.

The moral here for all of us is that, apparently, some US sold vehicles are furnished with export-version owner's manuals.

Thanks to all of the useful information you guys provided.

Reply to
CWLee

I found the Kleenex boxes the other day at Target-97 cents. As I recall, Walgreens was pretty high for the boxes.

"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." Clarence Darrow

[...]

newman