99 Explorer Will Not Idle

Hello,

Yesterday, I experienced the problem that my explorer will not idle. I must give the engine gas in order to keep the engine running. It is a 1999 Explorer XLT w/SOHC 4 liter engine. I have about 77K miles on it.

When it is running or has died, the Check Engine light does not come on. After it dies, the only light that comes on is the Battery light. BTW, I replaced the battery with a Die Hard in May of this year.

Here in Virginia we have recently had a lot of rain. I had been driving the car through very heavy rain including deep puddles. I suspect that moisture is responsible for my problem.

Has anyone had a similar problem?

Thanks for any light you can shed. I apologize if this is a FAQ and has been answered before.

Please reply to this group or to my e-mail: snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net

Stephen Saunders

Reply to
STEPHEN SAUNDERS

You need to clean or replace the IAC (Idle Air Control) Valve. This is a cylindrical object bolted to the intake manifold by two screws. There is a conenctor on the back end. After you remove it from the intake manifold, you can see into the air passae. It is likely to be covered with a black greasy coating. Use iuntake manifold cleaner to clean it out. Persoanlly, I'd jsut install a new one - around $75 from Ford (or less from other Auto parts places). If you take it to the dealership expect to pay from $200 to $500 to have this concern addressed. My Sister jsut got taken by a Ford dealer for this repair (they included an uneccessary $200 fuel injection cleaning, and $100 diagnosis charge).

See

Ed

Regards,

Ed White

Reply to
C. E. White

Thank you Mr. White,

Your prompt reply was right on the money. I found the IAC valve at a local dealership for $100 and bought one at an Autozone for $80. After installing it, my problem was gone. Looking at the one I took out, it showed carbon build up but was not oily.

I think a lot of this newsgroup and have benefited from it before. Never so much as today.

Thank you so much for your help.

Regards,

Stephen

Reply to