'99 OHV fuel system problem.

Last summer I experienced a few what I think are fuel system related problems:

  1. The engine would ping when in high load low RPM situations (such as going uphill on the highway in 5th gear with the AC on). This was intermittent.

  1. Starting would take excessive cranking and started with hesitation (like it had vapor lock). Also intermittent.

  2. The engine was down on power intermittently.

Over the winter I found that the thermostat was stuck open.

Since then, I have not experienced the pinging at all, but have had the other two problems. Could the ping have been caused by the open thermostat even in the dead of summer?

I have found a way to cure the other two problems (but not quite always). I "prime" the fuel system by turning the ignition key on and off about 4-5 times before starting it. When this is done, it starts immediatly with no excessive cranking, and all 160HP is there.

So, what is root of the problem? Fuel pump? Is there a check valve in the fuel supply line? A fuel return line problem (or does it even have one?)?

Are there any TSB's on this issue? I reported this problem to my local dealer last summer (just before my warranty expired) but they found nothing wrong, no low fuel pressure, nothing.

Thanks in advance for any help offered. I am thinking of selling the vehicle but don't want to let it go with this problem.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim South