99 XLT replacing wheel stud advice

I stripped a wheel stud on the rear wheel while changing a flat. I purchased a new stud and bolt at the auto parts store and will try to change the stud tomorrow. The truck has rear disc brakes. Is it simply banging out the old stud and putting the new one in ? Any advice appreciated. Thanks

Reply to
Mikepier

Well I just finished replacing the wheel stud. There are a few tips I would like to share:

My rear rotor would not come out easily. I ended up having to loosen the star adjuster for the e-brakes since it was holding the rotor on.

Removing the old stud is a lot easier with one of the e-brake shoes moved out of the way.

In order to remove the old stud once it is hammered out, you have to orient the hub in a certain spot so you can back out the stud far enough to clear the hub, otherwise the stud will hit the rear shield, so make sure both wheels are off the ground so you can turn the wheel hub. You can't do this with one wheel on the ground.

Reply to
Mikepier