99Ford explorer does fuel filter have anything to do with battery dying?

My 99 ford explorer has recently started dying.It only happens occasionally...most of the time it will not want to start after sitting for over about 5 hours. I will have to keep my foot on the gas, so that the battery will not die. Once it gets going it is fine and then it sits...Will a fuel filter and oil change help?

Reply to
NoClueMCA

I'm not sure I understand your problem. Do you mean the engine dies? If so, it's probably the IAC valve, a common problem. It's easy to remove and clean, or replace. Typical symptoms are the truck can't idle, but runs fine if you step on the gas. As far as the battery dying in relation with the fuel filter, one has nothing to do with the other.

Reply to
Mikepier

Could be a fuel pressure regulator or injector, you need to have a fuel system pressure check done. Best place is your local Ford dealer.

R> My 99 ford explorer has recently started dying.It only happens

Reply to
Ron Bozich

since you guys are on the subject of fuel filters, I have a 200 explorer and the fuel filter tool they sell to remove the old one. I gave it a go using the picture on the package, squeeze and pull up. It ain't comming off. Any tricks or insight to what I'm missing here would be greatly appreciated. thxs

Reply to
weatherbe

Interesting- here are some great pictures and instructions on cleaning the IAC (idle air control valve):

Be sure you read the comments after the main article about cleaning the felt filter inside the black plastic cap.

-Paul

Reply to
carbide

I had hard starting after my Ex sat for several hours. Leaky fuel injector that flooded the cylinder. You can pull the plugs and look at them closely, you will probably have lots of deposits on the plug in the problem cylinder, you may even smell gas.

The car would start fine after a short stop

Reply to
ross via CarKB.com