A child seat in the back seat of a 98.

I have an annoying problem putting a child seat in the back of my 98 XLT. Since the seat is split 1/3-2/3 and I put the seat in the center my kid will lean to the left of the truck because the bottom of the seat has less support on the edge of the 2/3 bench.

I thought about putting a piece of board across the seats and putting the child seat on top of that but then it will be uncomfortable for anyone who might seat next to it.

Any creative ideas ?

Thanks, zoti

Reply to
<zotiREMOVERTHISPART

Cut the board so it is the same size as the base of the child seat. Then screw it to the child seat.

Reply to
Ratbert

You beat me to it, but he might also want to pad that board a bit with about an inch of foam on the underside so it's not too rough on the upholstery.

| > I thought about putting a piece of board across the seats and putting the | > child seat on top of that but then it will be uncomfortable for anyone who | > might seat next to it. | >

| > Any creative ideas ? | >

| > Thanks, | > zoti | >

| | Cut the board so it is the same size as the base of the child seat. | Then screw it to the child seat.

Reply to
John Riggs

Reply to
<zotiREMOVERTHISPART

Hum ah, put the child seat on one of the two sides...

Reply to
351CJ

apart from the fact that the safest place for the child seat is the center it is very uncomfortable to have it on either side.

If it's behind the driver then you can't reach the child if he drops something (only when stopped !) and on the other side it's hard to get him in and out as you can't access that door when parked in the garage.

Reply to
<zotiREMOVERTHISPART

Rolled up towels work well, too.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

I am assuming this is a foward facing seat. If the seat has a tether attachment, it will definately hold the seat more straight. You have to buy the tether anchor assembly at the dealer and it's simple to put in. I did it on my 99.

Reply to
Mikepier

Reply to
<zotiREMOVERTHISPART

Maybe this image will help understanding the problem a bit:

zoti

Reply to
<zotiREMOVERTHISPART

I would beef up the side of the seat with a rolled up blanket or towel. I remember when I had a rear facing seat I had the same problem. The foam at the side of the rear seat is not as firm as in the center.

Reply to
Mikepier

Reply to
<zotiREMOVERTHISPART

That may well be true but if you had 2 or 3 child seats, it would be a totally mute point. Other than the safest spot issue the lopsided seat seams much more bothersome than the reaching issues...

Good Luck with your dilemma.

On a totally unrelated tangent. If indeed you had more than one child seat, how would you pick which child got the center seat? Would you have to say to the outboard children that they were not worthy? If it were a side impact, wouldn't the opposite side actually be the safest spot? Where is the truly safest spot? (the boy in the plastic bubble movie pops into mind here) Hey maybe the drivers seat should be in the center...

I apologize in advance, My mind just went into hyper-speed when I read "the safest place for the child seat is the center" line...

Reply to
351CJ

Well, you have to agree that the most protected place is the center spot. Less chances of getting hit or hitting the inside of the vehicle in case of an accident.

And at the moment I only have one kid so I will try to protect him as much as possible. When I have two kids I guess the older one will move to the side spot.

uncomfortable

Reply to
<zotiREMOVERTHISPART

Reply to
Rob

Reply to
Rob

If you don't have a solution as yet, give me a call. I think I have a solution (and the parts)

Reply to
Bill Hall

u following me ?

Reply to