Abs Hydrolic Control UNit

MY explorer was stolen recently and when it was recovered the abs light was on the ford dealer said it was the main hydrolic control unit that was faulty. My insurance company says that it was not caused by the theft because there were no external sighs of damage to the unit. It appeared that the vehicle had been driven off road and I'm wondering could the shock from a rough ride damage the unit? Also how common is this part to fail on a 94?

Reply to
zorb44

the ford dealer said it was the main hydrolic control unit that was faulty. My insurance company says that it was not caused by the theft because there were no external sighs of damage to the unit. It appeared that the vehicle had been driven off road and I'm wondering could the shock from a rough ride damage the unit? Also how common is this part to fail on a 94?

I have a 92 Ranger. Just driving in the snow, I hit the brakes kinda hard and the ABS light came on and stayed. Ford had plenty of them in stock and from reading some other sites, it seems to be a highly replaced item.

Reply to
Alan G

the ford dealer said it was the main hydrolic control unit that was faulty. My insurance company says that it was not caused by the theft because there were no external sighs of damage to the unit. It appeared that the vehicle had been driven off road and I'm wondering could the shock from a rough ride damage the unit? Also how common is this part to fail on a 94?

The 92 only has rear ABS I believe. But, you comment is right on the mark for the rear ABS system. My experience has been that when you have not used the brakes hard enough to cause the ABS to kick in for a while the ABS valve may have gone bad without any symptoms due to none use. Next time you actually cause the ABS to kick in the system generates a fault and you need new parts. Crappy system. It works great when it works right but it rarely works right.

Reply to
AZGuy