ABS light on - '96

Hi folks,

My purchased-new '96 Explorer with 119k miles currently has its ABS warning light on. As always, it lights when starting the engine but now stays on solidly. I have yet to take it out on a gravel road to check out the ABS's function. The ABS has never had issues in the past ten years.

Before I go out in the cold--yes, it can be cold in Arizona--and look (where?) for a loose connection or something, can someone tell me what I can and should do on my own under the car, under the hood, behind the wheel or under the dashboard to check out any obvious problem to avoid a service call?

If I'm unable to find a quick fix, what are the likely sources of the error and cost at the dealer's shop to fix?

Reply to
Craig

No sense in checking the ABS function.... if the light is on, it ain't gonna work.... period.

The most likely cause is the VSS (either sensor or wiring) at the rear output of transmission or transfer case..... notice the use of "most likely". Smart money is on having the ABS module scanned for codes since this is the only way we have of knowing which way to look......

Picture this.... someone spends time, effort and money shotgunning parts...... finally, when the money is gone and frustration is high and patience is worn thin, it is taken to a shop (chosen because they're good, not because they're cheap)..... they either fix it for little cost because we didn't follow a logical diagnostic prrocess or... sadly, it requires a spendy part that is no longer affordable because of all the new, unecessary parts living beneath our sheet metal.

I think that doing something like this yourself should be a pleasant, rewarding experience rather than having any labour savings eaten up in needless trial and error.

Reply to
Jim Warman