ABS question

Not sure if this has been covered in the forum before or not, but I took my

1993 Explorer Sport in to the dealership I got it at (I know, big mistake...) and they would not pass it for inspection because the ABS light was on, and apparently one of the wires was missing going to one of the front sides. Is there a way to make the light go out for the ABS system? Also, does anyone know if this is an inspection problem or were they looking to make money off me? Thanks in advance....
Reply to
JENNIFER SMITH

You can take the bulb out and that will take care of it. You'd be better off getting it fixed though. Without the ABS functioning these things can easily swap ends in a hard stop on ice, snow or wet pavement.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

That has got to be some patently shitty advice.... "take out the bulb and ....". As if removing the bulb is going to"fix" the problem????

I'm not sure about what the original posters inspection entails, but you can bet if a malfunction in the ABS is a concern, someone will be watching for the bulb to "prove out" at key on.... DUH???

For the original poster.... you are driving around with a disabled safety device... I see no redeeming qualities in either post - common sense is, indeed, on vacation....

Reply to
Jim Warman

This would have failed at any safety inspection site in Virginia. This is not a dealer problem. Get it fixed! That will make the light go out.

Reply to
Art McClinton

my ABS light came on recently. the dealer replaced the speed sensor.

actually, I don't really know what a speed sensor does, but I don't think it was a major repair. You can probably get one at Autozone, etc.

my car was still under extended warranty, so the speed sensor was covered by that.

as others have mentioned, you should get it fixed as a safety measure.

2000 V8 2WD 80000 miles 1993 Explorer Sport in to the dealership I got it at (I know, big mistake...) and they would not pass it for inspection because the ABS light was on, and apparently one of the wires was missing going to one of the front sides. Is there a way to make the light go out for the ABS system? Also, does anyone know if this is an inspection problem or were they looking to make money off me? Thanks in advance....
Reply to
oklaman

You stated that "it would not pass it for inspection". This leads me to believe that your locality requires annual vehicle inspections, and that your dealer is an authorized inspection station.

With that in mind, I'd avoid removing the ABS bulb simply to pass the inspection - since it is known that the ABS light should come on when the engine is sarted as part of the POST of the vehicle diagnostics - and bulbs to warning lights on the dash.

Find out what the problem is, and get it fixed. Brakes on a vehicle are NOT something you want to go bad at a critical momnent

Vito

Reply to
Vito