AC occasionally doesn't work

99 XLT w/4.0 SOHC. Occasionally the AC, actually the blower, stops. Usually happens after a restart that the blower either won't start, or several seconds after turning it on it will go off after several seconds. Once it actually turned off while in traffic. This seems to be happening more often. No amount of fiddling with the AC or fan controls seems to have an effect. It always comes back on within a minute or so. I live in Phoenix so it is pretty hot here. Any suggestions what's causing this?
Reply to
Jerry

Blower motor... starts with a "dead spot" or sticking brush.... often, a bump in the road will re-eatablish the circuit - applying Anthony's shift motor fix to the side of the blower motor can often effect a very temporay repair but you can only do that for so long before it just wont work any more.

Jim Warman

Definately sounds like a blower motor. If you're mechanically inclined, the motor is easy to remove, and can be taken apart, the commutator cleaned with some 400 grit emory paper, brushes inspected, and if necessary replaced, bearings lubed. The difficulty is the unstaking of the brush plate in the motor housing. It's not hard with a good small chisel and light taps with a hammer. Or, you can replace the motor, spend some money instead of time.

Reply to
rakster

If there's a relay for the blower motor like on the '94s, try replacing the relay first. I had this problem on my 94, and tapping on the relay when it did not work unstuck the relay. I got a replacement at Pep Boys and that fixed it.

Reply to
Mike Iglesias