Acts like 'dead' batt, but bat is good????

I have an older 1987 Ford Ranger , V-6, auto. With about 200K miles. I have 'kept up' the truck, and it serves well. In the last month, I have driven only on the weekends. Sat of this week I jump in and tried to start. NO nothing. It did not even make a clicking sound that sometimes ocure when a battery is low/almost dead. I connected up my battery charger and made contact with the posts. It was then that I heard a fast clicking sound. It came from the fender wall over by the solenoid. on the left side . I don't reconize the part, and I am not sure that 'it" has anything to do with the problem. But it is about the size of a bic cig lighter and black. Would anyone have a clue as to what it is, could it be some of my problem, I may wind up calling my mechanic, I would like tell him , other than ,,,'it wiill not start,or make noise. ???? Thanks in advance. cl.

Reply to
lorentsonci

To me it sounds like a bad battery. How do you know it's good? I suggest disconnecting it and seeing if it will take a charge. Sometimes a battery can have an open cell and it will read fully charged with a hydrometer but one of the cells is disconnected so you basically have a big, heavy box that does nothing.

I would also check the cables especially the positive cable. It could be completely corroded inside the insulation. Also check the ground connection for the negative cable.

If all that checks out OK then start looking at the selenoid and starter motor and possibly the ignition switch.

Reply to
Ulysses

Adding to another post, try checking the battery voltage at the battery while someone tries to crank the engine.

That will give you a good indication of the battery condition.

If the batter is good, then repeat the procedure going from the battery neg. terminal to the other parts of the path to the starter and also do a similar check from the pos. terminal to the chassis ground.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress
**It was then that I heard a fast clicking sound. It came from the fender wall over by the solenoid. on the left side . I don't reconize the part, and I am not sure that 'it" has anything to do with the problem. But it is about the size of a bic cig lighter and black.

Lorentso:

I'm not familiar with a '87 ranger but what you are describing and it's location makes me think that the problem might be a bad starter relay. It's about that size and ford usually mounts them on the fender wall.

HTH.

-Steve ('94 EB 4x4)

Reply to
SteveS