Adding Keyless entry to 2003 Explorer Sport??

Is it possible to add the factory keyless entry to this car? Whats involved if so. Thanks

Reply to
Buzzzz

I added keyless entry to my Exporer Sport. Your Sport needs power door locks. It wasn't too hard. I have an electrical diagram of how to do it. Let me know your e-mail and I'll send it. I cannot post it to this group (no binaries).

Reply to
Tommy Wood

It depends..

do you MEAN keyless entry (keypad on the door ) OR

REMOTE keyless entry (keyfob on your keychain )

or both ! ???

The former is doable, but a bit pricey via a few aftermarket companies.. The latter is pretty easy, and reasonably priced via just about any car stereo / alarm shop..

an ACTUAL FORD factory system would involve a donor car from a junkyard, and probably wiring harness mods. I would imagine it would get pretty involved to do it .. *shrug*

Reply to
Chief Wiggum

I'd be interested in that. Please send it to snipped-for-privacy@eat.my.shorts.spammers.myway.com (take out the first four words of the domain name). Thanks.

Reply to
Ratbert

could you send me the diagram to ephedralover@hotmail .com . THanks

And I was meaning the remote keyless entry. Like the ones ford uses, with the three buttons. But if theres another way, I am open to that as well.

Reply to
Buzzzz

I agree with Wiggum, if you mean the keyfob on your keychain, many stores can do this for you. I had my 99 Explorer done at Best Buy for $180.00. Works great. Took them about 5 hours to install system so plan on doing something for a few hours. I did alot of research into installing a Ford factory system into my XLS, but it appeared that the expense would outweigh the benefit. But if you want the door keypad, Ford makes an aftermarket keypad($100 depending) that sticks on your door. But for this to work, I think you need the RKE module(I think this is the correct one) or the RAP module installed. Because since the keypad is wireless, it works off of your existing factory system.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Lance

Really ? that sounds COOL!

do you have any reference to it online by chance ..??

the only thing I found for aftermarket keypads was from Essex, and it runs about $200.00 (not installed)

the wireless thing sounds slick!

Reply to
Chief Wiggum

May not be the right year for you. But the link is for the keypad that I mentioned. The cost would most definitely be cheaper by checking eBay.

Included a link for eBay. I thought this sounds awesome, but I dont know if it will work with an aftermarket system or just factory. Everything I found points to it just working on factory setup.

Reply to
Lance

That IS pretty cool!

Seems like an accy the aftermarket would have jumped on sooner... .Basically it looks like a standard remote keyfob with a keypad on the front-end.

It would be a piece of cake for the Clifford, Viper, et-al folks to grind out an accy to THEIR stuff as well.

I think the keypad remote is an option that is underestimated by the folks who have never had one... I think they are indispensible, and use mine CONSTANTLY.

In fact I took the remote off of my keyring because I never use it.

Thanks for the links... I never knew FORD made such a thing.

chief_wiggum

It is possible to do either keyless entry with remotes or by adding a keypad to the door. To give you an idea Keyless Entry (2 remotes) we charge $99 Installed and takes about 30-45 min to install. And a Keyless entry by a keypad on the door will run you about $250 installed and takes about 1 1/2 Hours.

Mark S Owner SoundsExtreme

Reply to
Mark S.

WOW 5 hours???? Was it also an Alarm and Remote Starter?Not to nock anyone but it should never take more than an hour to install a keyless entry system

Mark S Owner SoundsExtreme

Reply to
Mark S.

Reply to
Lance

I mean the thing thats on your keychain. Can I somehow use a Ford remote keyless entry fob. THis is for my sisters 03' Expl. Sport. I have one on my 99 Expedition. But I didn't know if the new cars that didn't come with them, could just be added somehow. Or do I have to go aftermarket/alarm.

Reply to
Buzzzz

ScotchLocks, huh????

Reply to
Jim Warman

Every connetion made by my installers is soldered

Mark S Owner SoundsExtreme

Reply to
Mark S.