Advice on changing fuel filter 99 XLT

I picked up a fuel filter last night at the auto parts store for my 99 XLT SOHC. It has 30K on it so I figured it's time. The fuel filter has these "duckbill" clips on them. The counterguy said all I need is a pair of needlenose pliers to get them off. Just wondering if its straightforward replacing?

Reply to
SizzleMP

Well so much for the counterguy's advice. I was under my truck trying to take the filter out and finally realizing that after trying to pull the lines out for about 10 minutes, I finally called back another auto parts store. I asked if there was a special tool to remove the filter, and he said yes. So I drove down and got the spring release kit ( various sizes) and finally got the filter off.

Reply to
SizzleMP

There's a very good reason that these guys are making less than half what an average tech makes.......

Anecdote of the day.... when this style of connection first appeared, demand for the release tools was high and supply was short.. I paid over 40 bux Canajun for the 5/16ths (8mm) release tool by itself. Now, I can buy 3 sets of nearly full coverage release tools for the same money - but I needed the tool back then......

A decent tech might make good a buck but the toolmonger gets most of it all the same. A lot of this stuff is common sense and logical routines. Thanks for sharing the experience. Hopefully someone else will see it and avoid the struggle.

Reply to
Jim Warman