Air Conditioner '95 XLT

The airconditioner on my XLT just isn't giving very much cold air. The compressor goes on for about 2 seconds, then goes off, and then a few seconds later goes on again for about 2 seconds. What could the problem be? I just had the belt tensioner replaced -- could that have caused this problem? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Reply to
Jacob

Fast cycling is typically a sign of low refrigerant charge. Not surprising in a 14 year old vehicle, but please don't be tempted to just dump a can into it. It can be dangerous. Have it checked by a pro, and if there is a leak, repaired first.

Reply to
Happy Traveler

How is that dangerous??

Have it checked by a pro, and if there is a

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

It's low on Freon most likely. Not surprising for it's age. If it was mine and if there were no obvious leaks (look for lots of dirty oil film on the AC lines and connections) I'd buy a recharge kit at Walmart and put it in it. If it has a significant leak it will start acting up again in a month or two if not sooner and then you can take it to a repair place. Or you can take it to a repair place now but if they find even the tiniest of leaks they will probably tell you (even though it's not true) that you have to fix the leak for big bucks. As I said, I'd risk the lost of my investment in the $35 recharge kit first.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Hopefully, in a '95 vehicle it's not Freon, but R134a.

As for my comment about danger. Well, we don't know for sure that it's low, and adding to a fully charged system is not a good idea, to say the least. I would certainly confirm with a manifold gauge first. The OP didn't appear to have any, or he would have reported the pressure readings. And then there is always the risk of hooking the can to the high side port by someone who does not understand the system. Fairly low because it normally won't fit there, but who knows what has been done to that system before, and the consequences could be dire. Make double sure that it's the low side port if you are going to attempt a recharge.

Reply to
Happy Traveler

People worry too much. He could get struck by a meteor too.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Reply to
Jacob

Yes, the '95 uses R134a

Dave

Reply to
Dave Petrone

No extra tools needed. I just recharged an '01 Escort, and did a '97 Explorer a couple years ago. It's the easiest job ever.

The complete *kit* includes a pressure gauge and simple instructions. Keep that gauge, and the hose, and everything else, so you'll only need to buy a cheaper refill can next time.

I recently saw what looked like a refill kit with a gauge built onto the top of the can, for (I think) about the same cost as the kits with separate components... a waste of money if you end up tossing the gauge in the trash.

If I recall, low pressure A/C fittings have smooth domed caps on them, high pressure fittings have hex shaped caps. You might have to look around to find them. The Escort has them located at opposite corners of the engine bay.

Reply to
Beryl

The kit comes with instructions, just read them several times and go over all the steps before you actually start. If it has a leak there is no way to know what it will cost to fix till you know where the leak is. Figure the smallest, easiest leak will probably cost at least a hundred bucks. A leak in a major component could run many hundreds or even over a thousand with the labor.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

The kit I bought came with refrigerent that contained stop-leak. It also came with plenty of instructions and even a DVD instruction video. I found that if you smear a tiny bit of Vaselline on the top of the can before attaching the hose it seals better and the next time you need to add refrigerant it might still have some in the can.

On second thought that may have been the old R12 cans... the new stuff I think is threaded on the can.

Reply to
Ulysses