air conditioner seized

We've got a 92 explorer. The air conditioner motor has seized and the fan belt is just slipping over it. I assume this isn't too good for the belt, and also would make the generator turn more slowly?

It still turns a little sometimes.

Is there a simple way to add oil and unstick it?

Reply to
*selah*

It is likely the compressor (it is not a motor) that is bound up. It is not repairable and will have to be replaced. It could be the clutch that is frozen. You can tell by disconnecting the wires that go to the clutch. If the belt stops slipping and the pulley spins nicely, that confirms the compressor is at fault.

If disconnecting the clutch does not let everything to turn smoothly, you have a problem that must be fixed as soon as possible. I had the compressor fail on my 92 when I was driving along on a day when I did not really need the a/c on. I did not realize what had happened and as I drove along, the belt finally failed. It actually burned or melted apart. Now you lose a lot of vital operations of the SUV. The alternator quits and you just run on the battery, the water pump stops and the radiator overheats, the power steering quits and steering becomes very difficult. You get the idea.

If you are a short distance from a repair facility, you can probably get there, otherwise you might need a tow.

It is also a good idea as the repairs are done to carefully inspect the belt to be sure it has not already been damaged.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

It's unlikely that the compressor is the problem. Unless the A/C is turned on, the clutch should freewheel .

2 things to check.
  1. with the engine running, and the a/c off, if the pulley is still while the belt slips over it, then the bearing in the clutch is bad. About an .00 part for a complet assy.
  2. you can try to turn the compressor by hand by rotating the outside (not the pulley) with your hand (engine off of course). you should be able to move it.

good luck.

Reply to
Chief_Wiggum

Reply to
*selah*

Doesn't the bearing go between the clutch and the compressor shaft? When the clutch is activated, doesn't it turn the compressor? So, if the bearing is seized, won't the belt turn the compressor? Could be both, but if the clutch doesn't turn at all, the compressor is probably shot.

Bill Funk Change "g" to "a"

Reply to
Big Bill

The A/C compressor AND clutch assembly are both hammered..... The magnetic clutch sits on the compressor's input shaft, if it's not turning the compressor, it's scrap metal by now. If they kept trying to get it to run, the clutch is wasted along with it. Time to bend over and pay for a new compressor, clutch and serpintine belt.

Reply to
Dr. Rastis Fafoofnik

No, the bearing goes between the pully and the nose of the compressor housing. The clutch is connected via a spline shaft to the compressor drive.

Yes

No. the pully just doesn't freewheel.

Not if the compressor still turns.. Definately could be both though... have to check more!

Reply to
Chief_Wiggum

Agreed.... most everyone I have ever seen trying to get by with just a pulley bearing and a clutch coil winds up buying all that stuff again along with a new compressor. The added financial burden ALWAYS comes BEFORE the pocketbook has recovered from the first assault.

It sounds like the original poster is continuing to drive the car...... It should be mentioned that the water pump not turning is a lot scarier than the alternator not turning and paying the tow truck bill isn't going to make it easier to pay for the needed repair.

Reply to
Jim Warman

I say compressor. Remember I just replaced mine in July. If the clutch seizes, it will merely turn the compressor, which really won't hurt anything but mileage. If the compressor seizes AND the clutch seizes....bad news. It might be a good idea to make sure the AC is turned off. If it is, and the clutch is still engaged...again, bad news. If the clutch freewheels, it will confirm the compressor. If he is going to do the replacement himself, he can usually pick the compressor up at a salvage yard for a fraction of the cost of a new one. He'll want to pick up a dryer as well, and a new orifice tube. If he's frugal, he can do the job himself for under $100.

"Chief_Wiggum" wrote in message news:4EDid.44838$G15.25439@fed1read03... | It's unlikely that the compressor is the problem. Unless the A/C is turned | on, the clutch should freewheel . | | 2 things to check. | 1. with the engine running, and the a/c off, if the pulley is still while | the belt slips over it, then the bearing in the clutch is bad. About an | $80.00 part for a complet assy. | 2. you can try to turn the compressor by hand by rotating the outside (not | the pulley) with your hand (engine off of course). you should be able to | move it. | | good luck. | | | "*selah*" wrote in message | news: snipped-for-privacy@news4.newsguy.com... | > We've got a 92 explorer. The air conditioner motor has | > seized and the fan belt is just slipping over it. I assume | > this isn't too good for the belt, and also would make the | > generator turn more slowly? | >

| > It still turns a little sometimes. | >

| > Is there a simple way to add oil and unstick it? | |

Reply to
John Riggs

How difficult is it to install one of these? I've done some refrigeration but not car air conditioners.

Also, I'm wondering about the cost of the parts.

Thanks.

Reply to
*selah*

He has a 92. Unless it was ever converted it still has the old Freon. Not applicable to a DIY replacement

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

I have a '92, and I did the conversion myself.. It's about $10 extra in parts, and maybe $50 to have someone evac the system and put in the R134.

| |

Reply to
John Riggs

Would appreciate help on where to get info on how to do this, (diagrams, repair manual, etc.) The chilton manual doesn't go into it at all and just says that it's dangerous.

Thanks.

Reply to
*selah*