Air Conditioning question

I have a 2001 Explorer Sport. This AM, I was at a stop light and turned the air on to defrost the windows. When I turned it on, the idle speed dropped and the unit started to click on/off couple of seconds. Is this serious?

Reply to
Gerry

Well, it certainly isn't any good for the AC clutch..... if left unattended, the heat build up and friction can take many good parts south along with the bad ones. First guess would be a leak in the system.... a low refrigerant charge would give rapid clutch cycling BUT - I have seen the occasional problem with both the high pressure switch and the low pressure switch.

Not to sound uppity but I would be getting this fixed rather than polling a newsgroup for anecdotes....

On the up side, it is fodder for discussion which breeds knowledge. Sound knowledge is a good thing in todays dog eat dog society.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Thanks Jim

Could you estimate the cost for each of your suggestions?

Gerry

Reply to
Gerry

Without some time and opportunity for diagnostics, there's no way to tell..... you can buy yourself some time by unplugging the AC compressor clutch, but this is hardly any kind of "fix". A lot depends on what you expect from your car. Personally, I have a hard time driving my own cars if they exhibit anything abnormal.

I realize that many aren't in a financial position to repair problems as they arise...... Like I tell my 16 year old son..... buying the damned thing is likely the cheapest thing you will do to it.

Reply to
Jim Warman

Mine did this a couple years ago. I discovered a small rock (or something) passed through the grill and pierced the condenser tubing.

Reply to
Herb Kauhry